Vegetarian dinner recipe: Slow Bake Aubergines
|Aubergine or Eggplant from Pixabay|
This is a tasty aubergine recipe that vegetarians and non-vegetarians will love. A one-dish casserole dish, it is cooked very slowly over several hours to allow all the flavours to blend. Aubergines are also known as eggplants and are often not cooked properly which puts people off. However, you simply cannot go wrong with this dish and it also freezes very well. When you are cooking for one, cook the whole thing then freeze in meal-sized portions for a quick ready meal that you know is completely healthy. An added bonus! This is very low in fat.
Images: Aubergine Slow Bake by AnnMackieMiller
The recipe is written from a British perspective, where I can I've tried to include American terms but can't guarantee I find them all.
Prep Time: half an hour
Total Time: 3-4 hours
- 1 medium sized red onion - cleaned and sliced into rings
- 1 red pepper (bell pepper) - cleaned and sliced into rings
- 2 large tomatoes - cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 aubergine (eggplant) - cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3 potatoes - cleaned and sliced into rings
- 3 ounces strong cheese - grated
- salt and black pepper
- half teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 1 tablespoon water
- Prepare everything before you cut your aubergine because it browns very quickly.
- Cut the potatoes into rings and par-boil = cover with boiling water and boil for 5 minutes then drain and dry slightly.
- Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees centigrade or gas mark 4
- In a deep oven-proof dish layer the rings of aubergine, onion, tomato, pepper and crushed garlic and herbs, add a layer of grated cheese and then another layer of aubergine, onion, pepper, tomato and garlic and salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of water.
- Top with the rings of par-boiled potatoes and the last of the grated cheese.
- Cover with a dome of foil - domed so it doesn't stick to the top.
- Cook in the middle of a slow-to-medium oven for 3 hours.
- Remove the foil covering and cook for a further 15-20 minutes until the top is golen brown.
- Serve with salad or green leafy vegetables.
Prepare vegetables by cleaning and cutting them into rings.
Vegetable recipe preparations
Prepare all the ingredients before cutting the aubergine - only cut that into rings when you are ready to put your casserole together.
Image: aubergine, tomatoes and red pepper rings.
Layer vegetables in your dish
Create 2 layers of vegetables including grated cheese in between layers. If you use a strong cheese you need to less.
Preparing the top
Cover the top with rings of par-boiled potatoes.
Sprinkle top with grated cheese.
A foil dome
Create a dome over the casserole dish and cook in the middle of a slow-medium oven.