Vegetarian Cheap and Easy Recipe: Sausage and Mashed Potatoes
Don't miss out on Bangers and Mash just 'cos you're a veggie!
|Vegetarian Bangers and Mash|
Sausages and mash potatoes
I'm sure this vegetarian version will provoke a few witty comments. On this very cold, very wet and windy day, it was also an ideal dish to make for supper, comfort food at its best. - and it is cheap and easy! Perfectly good excuses to make a vegetarian version of an old family favourite.
All the images used here are by me - please don't copy or reproduce them - but do feel free to try the recipe! :)
- Enough potatoes for 1 person
- Salt and black pepper
- Knob of butter
- 2 vegetarian sausages
- Half pint of onion gravy
|Veggie Sausages, Creamed Potatoes, Gravy and Peas|
- For The Potatoes:
- Peel and chop potatoes and cook in boiling salted water for 20 minutes until soft.
- Remove and drain. Mash with some butter to a smooth consistency and place in an oven-proof dish.
- For The Sausages:
- While the potatoes are boiling, dry fry or grill the sausages for 10 minutes turning frequently.
- For the Bangers and Mash
- Preheat a grill.
- In your ovenproof dish, push the sausages into the potato.
- Rough the top with a fork so it will crisp better.
- Grill for 5 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- Serve with green vegetables and plenty of onion gravy. (recipe below)
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Ready in:
- Yields: 1-2
How to Make Onion Gravy - Vegetarian gravy recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 small onion - diced
- 1 heaped tablespoon plain flour
- half pint of vegetable stock (broth)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce (optional)
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan.
- Add the onion and cook until it is soft.
- Mix in the flour forming a smooth paste.
- Cook for 1 minute to let the flour pods burst.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually add in a little of the stock at a time, keeping it to a smooth paste then add remainder of the liquid.
- Add soy sauce if using. I like the colour it gives to the gravy.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil. If you continue to stir it while it heats it will help it to thicken and will stop lumps forming.