My Cheap and Easy Egg Fried Rice
I'm not a fabulous cook, in fact I like to make things as easy as possible and this vegetarian egg fried rice couldn't be easier. This is an excellent way to use up left-over vegetables although using fresh vegetables gives them an extra bite that you might prefer.
For a REALLY easy option, when you are cooking a meal with rice put in some extra and cook some extra vegetables and you have a cheap and easy, nutritious lunch or supper for the next day.
I have the added benefit of using my own home-grown courgettes in this dish - there is nothing nicer than using food you have grown yourself.
I've based the timing on using left-over rice, cooking it first you will need another 12 minutes. Just make sure it is dry after cooking otherwise it will 'spit' in the wok.
If you don't have a wok, use a large frying pan.
I tend to use the cherry tomatoes as garnish rather than cooked in with the rice though they do cook well if you like them that way.
Serve with a green salad and you have a healthy meal for one.
Mushrooms and Courgettes
Prep Time: 5
Total Time: 15
Add 12 minutes if cooking rice from scratch.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- diced vegetables - I used
- 1/2 courgette
- 1 large portobello mushroom
- 40g cooked wholegrain rice
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with cherry tomatoes and salad
How would you rate this veggie recipe?
- Peel/skin the onion and dice into small pieces.
- Clean the mushroom and chop into fair sized chunks - make them smaller if you prefer your vegetables really soft - I prefer mine to be aldenti - with a little bite to them.
- Wash the courgette and chop into fair sized chunks.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a cup or bowl.
- Cooking Instructions:
- Heat the oil in your wok or frying pan.
- Test it is warm enough by putting a small piece of onion in the pan and waiting until it starts to fry.
- Add the rest of the onion and cook until the onion is beginning to soften and turn transparent.
- Add the mushrooms and courgettes and cook (saute) for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and mix well.
- Adding the rice will cool the mixture so let it come back up to heat before adding the eggs. You want it hot! I sometimes put the lid on the wok and let it cook away for quarter of an hour just to let the flavours blend.
- Add the egg - just like cooking scrambled eggs, let it begin to cook before stirring. Stir to mix completely and cook until the egg mixed through the rice and vegetables looks like bits of omelette.
- Season to taste.
Cooking Tip & Health Benefits of Rice
Rice can be quick starchy - I remove some of the starch one it is boiled by draining into a colander, and pouring boiling water over it. Still in the colander or sieve, put it back on top of the pot and use a wooden spoon to move the rice while it dries out a little.
I use wholegrain rice as it contains more nutrients than plain white rice. White rice has has all the natural dietary fibre removed. So wholegrain rice is much higher in fibre, great for your digestive system plus it is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Rice is also a slow-release food so it keeps you feeling fuller for longer - ideal if you are on a weight loss programme. The best way to avoid craving it to keep your blood sugar on an even level and slow-release foods help you do that. So it is also a good dietary item for anyone with diabetes or glucose intolerance.
You may be surprised to know just how healthy wholegrain rice is - it is one of those foods being recommended for fighting cancer. It contains anti-oxidants, those things that fight free radicals that cause cancer. With the high fibre content it is especially good for preventing bowel cancer.
Nutritional Information and Costs
Vegetable Fried Rice
The blessing of egg fried rice is that you can vary it every time you cook it just by varying the vegetables you use. Experiment with different ones. Some of my favourites:
- peas, bell peppers, sweetcorn kernels and mushrooms
- cooked broccoli and garden peas
- beetroot and feta cheese
- spring onions and garden peas
- spring onions and beansprouts
- cooked cauliflower and cashew nuts
- sweetcorn kernels and pine nuts
Vitamins and Minerals in this egg fried rice
Of course with the egg it is a protein high dish which is great for us vegetarians. It is also, as mentioned, high in fibre and is a slow-release food.
In addition from the combined ingredients you will find:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12
Where to find more information on health benefit of food
- Nutritional Benefits of Mushrooms | Mushroom Info
Mushrooms provide many of the nutritional attributes of produce, as well as attributes more commonly found in meat, beans or grains. Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free and very low in sodium, yet
- Zucchini nutrition facts and health benefits
Zucchini (courgette) provides just 17 calories per 100 g. Nonetheless; this summer-squash family vegetable is very rich in vitamin A and health-benefiting flavonoids such as zea-xanthin, lutein, and carotenes...Read on.
- Calorie Counter | Food Nutrition Data for Healthy Eating Choices
Calorie Count offers free food nutrition data. Learn how to live a healthier lifestyle by eating more nutritious meals and making better diet choices.
- What Are the Benefits of Whole Grain Rice? | LIVESTRONG.COM
Whole-grain rice retains all of the grain’s natural nutrients. One of its biggest benefits comes from the amount of dietary fiber it contains, which you won’t get from processed rice. You can also count on getting complex carbohydrates for energy and
- Secret benefits of whole grains and how to enjoy them | Mail Online
Secret benefits of whole grain rice