Tips on Budget Cooking with Vegetarian Mushroom Recipe
|Mushroom stew in taco|
Everyone is feeling the financial punch and when you are cooking for one it can seem an impossible task to find ways to cut your food bill. After all, supermarkets encourage people to buy in large amounts. Often their bargains are 'Buy 3 get 1 Free' or large packs of foodstuffs which are useless for one person. But you can beat them at their own game by using up the bargains when they suit you.
In my article, How to cook for one on a budget, I said that budget cooking starts with frugal shopping. Supermarkets are geared to entice you in with daily bargains, knowing full well that once they have your attention, you are likely to buy more. The trick is to buy the bargains and NOT give in to impulse buying. Make sure you know what you are shopping for and resist the temptation to buy - "just in case".
- 1 made a mushroom stew I served in tacos
- 1 made mushrooms and garlic with a bread roll
- 1 was added to courgettes for a pasta sauce
- 1 was added to a green salad I had with a baked sweet potato.
Let's start with
How to Make a Tasty Mushroom Stew
This is a really great recipe that you an adapt to use in loads of ways:
- like here serve it as a wrap with tacos
- serve it on a bread roll
- serve it with potatoes and vegetables
- place it is an oven-proof dish, cover with mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potato and bake.
- place in an oven-proof dish, cover with pastry and bake.
- when the stew is cooked -
- in a cup, make a paste with 1-2 teaspoons of cornflour in water.
- Stirring all the time, add the paste to the stew until it begins to thicken.